Instant Pot Taco Salad turns ground beef into an easy weeknight dinner. This simple recipe uses pantry-staples to make a delicious meal.
Instant Pot taco salad is a family favorite for a reason! This quick weeknight dinner takes almost no prep, and it's all made right in the inner pot.
It's also really easy to customize, and there are tips below to help you change up the flavors to suit your tastes.
The meat mixture also reheats well, and it freezes well, too!
- Ground beef: I like to use 90% lean ground beef. It's lean enough that it doesn't get too greasy, and it has enough fat that it doesn't dry out as it cooks.
- Beef broth: I use reduced-sodium beef broth.
- Taco seasoning: You can make your own taco seasoning, use a reduced-sodium packet, or a regular packet of taco seasoning.
- Salsa: Feel free to use whatever type of tomato-based salsa that you like.
- Beans: Kidney beans would also work well in this recipe.
How to make Instant Pot taco salad
Step 1: Press Sauté. When hot, add the ground beef. Cook until no longer pink.
Step 2: Drain the meat and return to the inner pot.
Step 3: Stir in the diced onion, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
Step 4: Add the garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds.
Step 5: Press cancel.
Step 6: Stir in the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Step 7: Layer the taco seasoning, salsa, and then black beans. Do not stir.
Step 8: Close and lock the lid. Press manual high pressure and adjust the time to 10 minutes.
Step 9: Once the cooking time ends, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Turn the pressure release valve to venting to release any remaining pressure.
Step 10: Give everything a good stir, and serve with your favorite toppings.
- Ground beef: Feel free to use ground turkey in place of ground beef.
- Spicy: You can add some heat in a few ways. First, you could use a hot salsa. Second, you could use a hot taco seasoning. Third, you could add hot sauce to the meat mixture.
- Beans: If you'd like to stretch the meat mixture, you can add an additional can or two of beans.
To make the taco salad, top chopped lettuce with the meat and bean mixture. Add other toppings like diced avocado or guacamole, shredded cheese, pico de gallo or diced tomatoes or salsa, and tortilla chips or nacho cheese chips.
How to freeze
The meat and bean mixture freezes well. To freeze, cook as directed.
Let the meat and bean mixture cool to room temperature, and then put the mixture into a freezer-safe container. Seal and freeze.
Store any leftover taco salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The meat mixture will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored.
More Instant Pot recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot taco salad recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Instant Pot Taco Salad
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely diced white or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- ½ cup chunky tomato salsa
- 14.5 ounce can black or pinto beans drained and rinsed
- Press Sauté.
- When hot, add the ground beef.
- Cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the meat and return to the inner pot.
- Stir in the diced onion, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds.
- Press cancel.
- Stir in the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Layer the taco seasoning, salsa, and then black beans. Do not stir.
- Close and lock the lid.
- Press manual high pressure and adjust the time to 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time ends, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Turn the pressure release valve to venting to release any remaining pressure.
- Give everything a good stir.
- Serve with lettuce, tortilla chips, diced tomatoes, cheese, avocado and any other desired taco salad ingredient.