Easy Instant Pot Fried Rice recipe! This recipe turns a few simple ingredients into a delicious dinner that's as flexible as it is tasty.
This Instant Pot fried rice makes a delicious main dish or side dish! This is one of those flexible dishes that can easily be adapted with different ingredients and different flavors.
For example, this Instant Pot chicken fried rice could easily be made into a vegetarian fried rice or pork fried rice. Instructions for both of those variations are given below.
- Sushi rice: Be sure to rinse the rice before using.
- Vegetable oil: Use a similar oil like canola, olive oil, or avocado oil if you prefer.
- Onion: White or yellow onion works well.
- Zucchini: If you prefer to use different veggies, I have some ideas listed in the "variation" section below.
- Sesame oil: Or toasted sesame oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can also be used.
- Soy sauce: I like to use reduced-sodium soy sauce so that I can better control the saltiness.
- Green onion
How to make Instant Pot fried rice
Step 1: Wash the rice and add it to the Instant pot inner pot with the water.
Step 2: Close and secure the lid, making sure the pressure release vent is closed.
Step 3: Cook on manual high pressure for 11 minutes.
Step 4: When the cooking time has finished, do a controlled quick release to release the pressure.
Step 5: Unlock the lid, and open your Instant Pot. Fluff the rice with a fork, remove and place in a separate bowl.
Step 6: Wash the inner pot before you sauté the rest of the ingredients.
Step 7: Press sauté. Once it's hot, add the oil to the inner pot.
Step 8: Add in the onions, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
Step 9: Add in the carrots and the chicken, until the chicken is seared and the carrots have softened, approximately 8 minutes.
Step 10: Add in the zucchini, and cook for three minutes.
Step 11: Stir in the sesame oil and the eggs and stir constantly to scramble, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 12: Add in the cooked rice, soy sauce, and green onions, and mix until combined. Do not over mix the rice. Press cancel.
Step 13: Serve immediately. Optional: garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion.
- Veggies: This rice has more of a summer feel because if the zucchini. Feel free to play around with the types of veggies. Some ideas are
- Sliced mushrooms
- Snow peas
- Bean sprouts
- Frozen vegetables: Feel free to use a package of frozen mixed vegetables or a blend of frozen peas and carrots in place of the carrot and zucchini. There's no need to thaw before use. Just add the frozen mixed vegetables after step 11.
- Vegetarian: Omit the chicken and add an additional egg.
- Vegan: Omit the chicken and the egg. Use scrambled tofu instead.
- Leftover meat: If you have leftover shredded chicken, pork, or beef, you can use that instead of the chicken. Just omit the chicken and stir in the cooked meat in step 14.
You can! Simply make the rice as directed on the package. Continue with the recipe as-written starting in step 9 but use a large skillet or wok.
Yes, you can use tamari in place of the soy sauce.
Medium grain white rice, basmati rice, or jasmine rice all work well. If you want to use long grain rice, cook and then chill the rice before use. This will help you avoid clumps in your rice.
Sure! You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth in place of the water.
Any leftover fried rice should stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The rice will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored.
More Instant Pot rice recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot fried rice recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Instant Pot Fried Rice
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice rinsed
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast in bite-sized pieces
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons green onions chopped
- Garnish with sesame seeds optional
- Wash the rice and add it to the instant pot together with the water.
- Close and secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Cook on high, pressure-cook for 11 minutes.
- When the cooking time has finished, do a controlled quick release to release the pressure.
- Unlock the lid, and open your Instant Pot.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, remove and place in a separate bowl.
- Wash the instant pot to begin sautéing the rest of the ingredients.
- Press sauté.
- Once it's hot, add the oil to the inner pot.
- Add in the onions, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
- Add in the carrots and the chicken, until the chicken is seared and the carrots have softened, approximately 8 minutes.
- Then add in the zucchini, and cook for three minutes.
- Adding the sesame oil and the eggs and mix until cooked and scrambled, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the cooked rice, soy sauce, and green onions, and mix until combined. Do not over mix the rice. Press cancel.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional garnish with white sesame seeds and sliced green onion.