Instant Pot Barbecue Beef makes tender shredded barbecue beef with almost no work! This easy dinner recipe is made with just 4 simple ingredients.
Instant Pot barbecue beef recipe makes a tasty dinner with almost no prep. This tasty bbq beef takes just 4 ingredients to make.
It makes an easy lunch or dinner and can be served in a number of ways. The beef also reheats well and can be frozen for prep ahead meals.
What you'll need to make Instant Pot barbecue beef
It takes just 4 simple ingredients to make this meal. You'll need
- Chuck roast: Chuck roasts work well for this type of cooking because they have enough fat to keep the meat from drying out as it cooks.
- Barbecue seasoning: Use your favorite barbecue seasoning blend.
- Beef broth: I like to use reduced sodium broth to control the salt level.
- Barbecue sauce: Choose any type of tomato-based barbecue sauce you like.
How to make Instant Pot bbq beef
Step 1: Add the beef to the Instant Pot inner pot.
Tip >> For faster cooking, cut the roast into 5-6 pieces. This should cut the cooking time down to 60 minutes. For even faster cooking, cut the roast into 1 inch pieces. This will reduce the cooking time to 45 minutes.
Step 2: Sprinkle the seasoning blend over the top.
Step 3: Pour the beef broth around the beef.
Step 4: Close and lock the lid. Be sure that the pressure release valve is set to sealing. Press manual high pressure and adjust the cooking time to 90 minutes.
Step 5: When the cooking time has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 25 minutes. Release any remaining pressure by opening the pressure release valve.
Step 6: Open the lid and remove the roast.
Step 7: Discard all but 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
Step 8: Return the roast to the inner pot and shred, discarding any large pieces of fat.
Step 9: Add the barbecue sauce, and stir to coat the beef in the sauce. Serve immediately.
You can! Just cook the beef as-directed and let it cool to room temperature. Put the beef in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Chuck roast works well in this recipe because the fat in the recipe helps to keep it tender while it cooks. You can use a leaner cut of beef, like an arm roast, but you may need to add ½ cup or so of additional broth.
The barbecue beef makes great sandwiches! Top it with a bit of coleslaw for a real treat.
The beef can also be served alongside sides like potato salad, baked beans, or mashed potatoes. Or serve the beef over baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes.
Store any leftover beef in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The beef will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored.
More Instant Pot beef recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot barbecue beef recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Instant Pot Barbecue Beef
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning
- 1 ½ cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce
- Add the beef to the Instant Pot inner pot.
- Sprinkle the seasoning blend over the top.
- Pour the beef broth around the beef.
- Close and lock the lid. Be sure that the pressure release valve is set to sealing.
- Press manual high pressure and adjust the cooking time to 90 minutes.
- When the cooking time has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 25 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure by opening the pressure release valve.
- Open the lid and remove the roast.
- Discard all but 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Return the roast to the inner pot and shred, discarding any large pieces of fat.
- Add the barbecue sauce, and stir to coat the beef in the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Use any type of barbecue seasoning and barbecue sauce you'd like.
- If you'd like to speed up the cooking time, cut the roast into pieces before cooking.
- Nutrition values are estimates.